Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Washington Coast Hike - October 10 - 14, 2006

Sticks - October 13, 2006
On October 10th, the eighth grade Adventure Education class headed to the Washington coast for a five-day hike. The group walked from Rialto Beach to the northern shore of Lake Ozette. The hike covered a total of twenty-five miles. Students carried on their backs all that they would need for the journey. For most of the students, this was the first backpacking trip they had been on. This coming-of-age activity challenged students both physically and mentally. Each day, students walked for approximately five hours on rugged terrain. While hiking, frequent stops were made. During their breaks, students discovered ancient Makah petroglyphs, bear tracks and whale bones. Each evening was spent around a roaring campfire where the cares of the day were melted away by the heat of the flame and lively conversation. Students' comments follow:

This was a memorable experience, one that I will never forget. I am going back out on day trips for sure, but I would love to do a five-day hike again.
-Colin

This was a great experience because I had never done anything like this before in my life. I believe we are going on another trip later this semester. I can't wait to see where we will be going.
-Taylor
The trip was an experience that I will never want to forget. It has taught me a life skill in how to survive with only the basic stuff.
-Van
This trip was a lot of fun, yet it was very, very hard at the same time. I can't wait for the next trip we go on.
-Courtney
Climbing down a huge cliff happened on the second day of the trip. We had to wait in line to make this 500 foot drop. When it was my turn I was deathly afraid and had a lot of time to think about how high it was. I conquered my fears...
-Zach
When going to the Pacific Coast remember this: Bring yer pocket knife, put it in yer pocket and beware of dem 'coons...
-Alex
To the future Adventure Ed class: This hike changed me to be more willing to do more things and accomplish new tasks...
-Kayla
At the last camp before the long excruciating board walk, we took about an hour to dig up whale bones. Several kids discovered a huge bone buried in the dirt. As the kids were digging it up it looked as if it was a whale skull. Mr. B was convinced it was. For the next thirty minutes, while the kids were digging it up, all I could hear was Mr. B saying “Whale skull!” At one point he said that the skull would solve all of the school's financial problems...
-William
Most of all I really liked the view at around 7:00, just when the sun was setting and all the pretty colors...
-Katie
For me, this was my first camping trip ever in my life, and I enjoyed every second of it...
-Evan
Although the campsite on the second day was my favorite, I don't think I could say the same about the water: Dark brown, filled with particles of some strange substance and teeming with mosquitoes...it didn't look the least bit appetizing. Even after we used the water filter it still retained a weird brown tint. I thought for sure Blake was going to get sick when he “Soldiered Up” and drank it straight out of the pond...
-Michael
-----
A special thanks to Charlie Snelling, Lars Bergquist, Steve Scoles and Amanda Moser. Your excellent leadership made this this trip a success.

Nels Bergquist

No comments: